- Open Access
Erratum to: Hospitalization costs for community-acquired pneumonia in Dutch elderly: an observational study
© The Author(s). 2016
- Received: 18 October 2016
- Accepted: 14 November 2016
- Published: 24 November 2016
The original article was published in BMC Infectious Diseases 2016 16:466
In our discussion  we erroneously misclassified the study of Spoorenberg et al.  as being a retrospective study using ICD records. Readers should know that the study of Spoorenberg et al.  is similar to our study, a prospective cohort with confirmed CAP based on standardized diagnostic criteria.
The observed difference in costs per average CAP patients can be partly explained by the younger cohort in the Spoorenberg et al.  study (mean age 63.4 versus 77.4) and by the exclusion of immunocompromised patients, patients directly admitted to the intensive care unit and patients having received immunosuppressive therapy in the study of Spoorenberg et al.  (in total 439 cases or 24.6% of our study population), leading to a shorter LOS (8.5 versus 12 days) and a lower case-fatality rate (30-day mortality: 5.1 versus 13.1%).
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.
- Vissink C, et al. Hospitalization costs for community-acquired pneumonia in Dutch elderly: an observational study. BMC Infect Dis. 2016;16(1):466.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Spoorenberg SM, et al. Microbial aetiology, outcomes, and costs of hospitalisation for community-acquired pneumonia; an observational analysis. BMC Infect Dis. 2014;14(1):335.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar